- Best Practices
- Fiduciary September
- Campaign for Investors
Best Practices Initiative
The fiduciary standard has been called “the highest standard under the law.” The best practices will reflect broad fiduciary duties in accordance with common law, statute, regulatory opinions, and the Advisers Act of 1940. The best practices will also reflect the high aspirations for the fiduciary standard expressed in the landmark Supreme Court decision, SEC vs Capital Gains Research. The starting point for the Best Practices Board deliberations is the Institute’s paper, Six Core Fiduciary Duties for Financial Advisors.
- Best Practices: Professional Conduct Standards
- Best Practices: Professional Conduct Standards Guidance
Best Practices Comments
The Institute has encouraged public comment on the proposed Best Practices. Submitted comments can be viewed here.
- March 22, 2017 — Why Does the Fiduciary Standard Matter to Clients?
- January 30, 2017 — Best Pratices Affirmation Program Webinar
- September 19, 2016 — Best Practices Affirmation Program Media Briefing (sound file)
- September 19, 2016 — Best Practices Fiduciary Advisor Affirmation Program Announced
- April 19, 2016 — Best Practices for Financial Advisors Media Briefing
- April 12, 2016 — Best Practices Self-Assessment Documentation
2016 Media Coverage
- Financial Planning — December 19, 2016: Bid to grow fiduciary registry gains prominent followers
- ThinkAdvisor — October 5, 2016: Conflicts of Interest and Advisor Credentials: Then and Now
- Wall Street Journal — September 21, 2016: Wealth Adviser Daily Briefing: Success in Adviser Succession
- ThinkAdvisor — September 21, 2016: History Provides Hope for Institute for the Fiduciary Standard’s New Best Practices
- Fiduciary News — September 20, 2016: Independent “Business Decisions” May Lead Companies to Apply Fiduciary Standard Broadly
- Financial Planning — September 20, 2016: New fiduciary registry will promote advisers who adhere to strictest guidelines
- Financial Advisor Magazine — September 19, 2016: Advisors Urged To Commit To Code Of Conduct
- Investment News — September 19, 2016: Institute for Fiduciary Standard begins program to hold advisers publicly accountable
- Think Advisor — June 22, 2016: Fiduciary Self-Assessments: Hype or Help?
Best Practices Board of Directors
- Clark M. Blackman II, CFA, CFP, CPA/PFS
- Bryan D. Beatty, CFP, AIF
- Christopher Cannon, CFA
- William C. Prewitt, M.S., CFP
- Knut A. Rostad, MBA
- General Counsel to the Best Practices Board: Brian Hamburger