- Best Practices
- Fiduciary September
- Campaign for Investors
Welcome to Fiduciary September. The Institute celebrates Fiduciary September to highlight the indispensable role fiduciary principles serve in preserving trust and confidence in our capital markets. It includes:
- Urging Congress and the SEC to apply the fiduciary standard and the six core fiduciary duties to all professionals rendering investment advice.
- Urging industry participants to embrace fiduciary duties when investment advice is rendered.
- Educating investors about the sharp differences between fiduciary advisors and sales brokers.
- September 30, 2015 – Fiduciary Best Practices Briefing (Invitation)
- September 30, 2015 – Remarks of Knut A. Rostad Release of the Best Practices for Financial Advisors (Transcript)
- September 23, 2015 – Survey of Brokers and Advisers Reveals Support for DOL COI BICE Requirements, Even if they’re “Burdensome” (News Release)
- September 2015 DOL Conflict of Interest Rule Survey (Results)
- Survey Highlights (PowerPoint Presentation)
- September 8, 2015 – Fiduciary September 2015: Conference Call September 10th on Best Practices (News Release)
- September 8, 2015 – SEC Commissioners Luis A. Aguilar’s and Daniel M. Gallagher on Fiduciary Duty (Paper)
- September 2, 2015 – Fiduciary September 2015 Underscores Historic Time for Fiduciary Advice. (News Release)
- August 11, 2015 – TD Ameritrade Institutional to be Exclusive Sponsor of Institute’s Fiduciary September 2015 Program. (Press Release)
- Investment News – October 4: Model fee disclosure misses mark
Kudos to InvestmentNews. In this editorial, InvestmentNews expresses similar concerns regarding the proposed fees disclosure.
- Investment News – October 4: As DOL fiduciary heats up, both sides dig in
- Financial Advisor – October 1: Best Practices By The Numbers
- Wealth Management – Sept. 30: Institute Finalizes Fiduciary Guidelines for Advisors
- Wealth Management – Sept. 30: Bogle: Compromises to DOL Rule May Be Needed
- Investment News – Sept. 28: State regulators, Finra, SIFMA propose fee disclosure model for brokers
In this article about a proposed fee-disclosure requirement, Institute president, Knut Rostad, notes that the limited nature of only disclosing ‘”miscellaneous fees” could cause confusion and further distrust among investors.
- The Investment Lawyer – Sept. 17: Conflicts of Interest and the Duty of Loyalty at the Securities and Exchange Commission
- On Wall Street – Sept. 16: Fiduciary Advocates Want Dividing Line Between Advice and Sales
- MarketWatch – Sept. 14: Do Conflicts Put Retirement Investors at Risk?
- Think Advisor – Sept. 10: Fiduciary September: A Time for Client-Centered Advisors to Come Together
- Huffington Post – Sept. 2: On The 75th Birthday Of The 1940 Act, A Reminder Of The F-Word’s Power
Why an InstituteThe rationale for an Institute for the Fiduciary Standard is straightforward: The fiduciary standard is important, representing ideas central to our form of government and free market economy; it is under significant pressures from market forces that could sharply limit its reach; no other entity is solely focused on preserving and promoting the fiduciary standard. More...
The 6 Core Fiduciary Duties
- ‣ Serve the client’s best interest
- ‣ Act in utmost good faith
- ‣ Act prudently -- with the care, skill and judgment of a professional
- ‣ Avoid conflicts of interest
- ‣ Disclose all material facts
- ‣ Control investment expenses